For most of us in Kent, it is back to school and a fresh start and year! With this being said, we are sure that you want to give your children the best start in their new school year, and you can do just that by simply ditching the car and travelling to school on foot!
Yes! Walking to school! Not only will this help set your child’s day off right, but it will also introduce physical activity into your daily routine. It is a great method of transportation for children whose schools are located within a reasonable distance!
Read this page and learn all the amazing benefits of walking to school as well as how to stay safe whilst walking to school!
There are many benefits of walking to school, including:
- Walking to school has shown that children have a high academic performance in terms of attention and alertness, verbal, numeric and reasoning abilities
- Walking to school has shown that children have a higher degree of pleasantness and lower levels of stress during the school day,
- Walking to school has shown that children have higher levels of happiness, excitement and relaxation on the journey to school.
- Walking to school also makes children more engaged with their streets and aware of the impact of cars.
- Walking to school allows children to notice seasonal changes and explore the nature and wildlife of their way to school.
Staying safe whilst walking to school
- When crossing the road make sure to look left, right, left and behind and in front of you for traffic.
- Walk, don’t run across the street.
- Stop, look and listen!
- Stay alert – other distractions like messing around with friends can affect your safety.
- Find a safe place to cross the road.
- Wear reflective accessories – useful in winter months especially, as the mornings and afternoons get darker.
Spice up your walk to school and find some new routes in your local area you may not have walked before using the Kent Connected app that you can download on a smartphone and follow the routes straight from there!
You can also take part in Explore Kent’s Junior Walking Challenge, all while walking to school… all you have to do is, take on a 5K (bronze), 7.5K (silver) or 10K (gold) walk, send us in your proof of your walk with a picture and screenshot or walk recorded and we will send you over your very own, personalised, Junior Walking Certificate.