Walk Leader Volunteer Opportunity
3rd January 2024
Why become a Walk Leader?
There are many benefits to becoming a volunteer walk leader within Medway.
Here are some of them:
- Helping others: You will be helping others to stay active and healthy by providing a safe and supportive environment for people to enjoy walking and socializing with others.
- Meeting new people: Volunteering in the community can be a great way to meet new people and make new friends. You will be part of a community of like-minded individuals who share your passion for walking and helping others.
- Staying active: Walking is a great way to stay active and healthy. As a walk leader, you will be setting a good example for others and staying active yourself.
- Personal development: Volunteering can help you develop new skills and gain valuable experience. You will learn how to lead groups, communicate effectively, and manage events.
- Sense of achievement: Volunteering as a walk leader can give you a sense of achievement and purpose. You will be making a positive difference in your community and helping others to achieve their goals.
The skills you will require:
The main skill we need from our volunteer walk leaders are enthusiasm, confidence at speaking in front of small groups, welcoming and friendly with good communication skills.
The roles and responsibilities of a walk leader:
- Making sure everyone is safe during a walk and were appropriate walk leaders are at the front, middle or back of a group.
- Checking a route and familiarising yourself with it before leading a walk.
- Welcoming walkers to the walks, particularly new walkers.
- Delivering a brief talk before the walk to make sure everyone is prepared.
- Ensure any procedures regarding registration forms and registers are completed.
- Leading and managing a walk.
- Ensuring the walks are welcoming, friendly, enjoyable and safe: following the best practice guidelines and the requirements of your local scheme
- Attending occasional walk leaders’ meetings, refresher training and thank you events.
To become a walk leader and apply for our bespoke training packages, call us on 01634 333 720 or email email@example.com