October is International Walk to School Month!
International Walk to School Month is an opportunity for children to join hundreds of thousands of pupils across the globe celebrating the walk to school.
There are many benefits of walking to school:
- Walking to school has shown that children have a high academic performance in terms of attention and alertness, verbal, numeric and reasoning abilities
- Walking to school has shown that children have a higher degree of pleasantness and lower levels of stress during the school day,
- Walking to school has shown that children have higher levels of happiness, excitement and relaxation on the journey to school.
- Walking to school also makes children more engaged with their streets and aware of the impact of cars.
- Walking to school allows children to notice seasonal changes and explore the nature and wildlife of their way to school.
Spice up your walk to school and find some new routes in your local area you may not have walked before using the Kent Connected app that you can download on a smartphone and follow the routes straight from there!
You can also take part in Explore Kent’s Junior Walking Challenge, all while walking to school… all you have to do it is, take on a 5K (bronze), 7.5K (silver) or 10K (gold) walk, send us in your proof of your walk with a picture and screenshot or walk recorded and we will send you over your very own, personalised, Junior Walking Certificate!
As we move into Autumn, there are so many seasonal changes in nature and wildlife, so, we want you guys to show us your walking adventure to school! Show us the way you walk from your house to school and everything that you see on the way, you might see a bird, or some autumnal leaves or maybe even some conkers for you to collect!
Download and print off the Walking adventure activity sheet, complete it and post a picture of it on social media, tagging us @explorekent