The government has announced that a new lockdown will come into effect on 5th November lasting until at least 2nd December.
The new government requirements are:
- Stay at home – do not leave your home except for work, education or childcare, to exercise outdoors with your household or with one other person from a different household, for medical reasons, to provide care, or for essential shopping.
- Social distancing – stay 2 metres away from people outside of your household, or 1 metre with other precautions (such as face coverings). Wear a face covering in indoors spaces. Wash your hands regularly for 20 seconds.
- Meeting family and friends – you must not meet people outside your household or support bubble indoors. You may visit public outdoors spaces with one person from another household (children do not count towards this). You cannot meet in a private garden.
- Closing non-essential businesses – Non-essential businesses including gyms, pubs and entertainment venues must close. Food shops, supermarkets, garden centres and certain other retailers providing essential goods and services can remain open.
The countryside is open!
Access to the outdoors for exercise and socialisation will be more important than ever for our wellbeing. Even though the days are getting colder and darker, we should all make an effort to stay active and maintain our connection to the outdoors. To do this we suggest:
- Using the Explore Kent activity map to find local parks and open spaces across Kent.
- Using the Public Rights of Way Map to find walking and cycling routes near to you for work or leisure.
- Go outside for exercise and maintain your usual exercise routine but avoid travelling to busy areas. (Top tip: If it’s dark by the time your finish work, take a long lunch break to get your daily dose of the outdoors.)
- Stay at least 2m from other people. Please be considerate and maintain distance when using Public Rights of Way close to people’s homes and gardens.
- Wash your hands when you get home from being outside and as often as possible additionally using hand sanitiser if available.
Countryside, beaches, parks and playgrounds remain open (but outdoor gyms are closed). Facilities such as cafes, visitor centres and toilets may be closed so check ahead before you travel.
Kent Country Parks will continue to provide takeaway from cafes and will sell logs as an essential fuel. Christmas events are still being sold and will be refunded if cancellations occur.
Continue to look out for each other and stay safe,
The Explore Kent Team