The latest announcement from the government asks us all to stay at home as much as possible; leaving only for work (if essential), to buy food and medicine, and for one form of exercise a day while maintaining social distancing. In light of this Explore Kent will not be promoting our #WalkOfTheWeek and other outdoor activities around Kent.
However, we want to help everyone stay active and maintain their connection to the outdoors – both of which will be important to our physical and mental wellbeing during these stressful and uncertain times. To do this we suggest:
- Using the Explore Kent activity map to find your local parks and open spaces.
- Using the Public Rights of Way Map to find footpaths near you.
- Go outside for exercise only once a day and stay in the area close to your home.
- Go outside alone or with members of your household and stay at least 2m from other people. Please be considerate and maintain distance when using Public Rights of Way close to people’s homes and gardens.
- Wash your hands when you get home from being outside.
- Spend time in the garden, exercising, gardening or just enjoying the sights and sounds of nature.
Please note that all nine Kent Country Parks are open to visitors on foot, but the car parks and all visitor facilities are now closed until further notice. High numbers of visitors make it difficult to practice social distancing, so it is important to stay away from high traffic areas and stick to your local parks and open spaces.
Children’s playgrounds and outdoors gyms are now closed.
Over the coming weeks we will be sharing ideas to get active at home and in the garden.
Stay safe everyone.
The Explore Kent Team