Remember, remember the 5th of November… With the cold weather creeping in and the coats, hats and scarfs creeping out, we know one of the UK’s favourite celebratory event, Bonfire Night, is just around the corner!
Due to the current COVID-19 situation the Bonfire Night celebrations of the unsuccessful gunpowder plot and the safety of the King, is different to any other year as all firework displays have been cancelled, however, there are still some really fun and exciting ways to celebrate!
That’s why Explore Kent has collected some of the best activities which you and the family can enjoy with all the normal festive and warming goods which are original to a firework display!
Creative Bonfire Night Crafts...
Although the celebrations of Bonfire Night may be exciting and fun, it is also one of the most dangerous public events of the year with 990 people injured by fireworks in October and November, 494 of those were children injured by sparklers or fireworks, 479 people of all ages required hospital treatment after firework injuries, 121 of those injuries happened during public displays but 475 occurred at family events or parties!
To reduce the number of firework and sparkler caused injuries, Explore kent have put together some health and safety rules, as well as some top tips which could help you out on this amazing light up the night!
Here are some vital do’s when having your own bonfire or firework display;
- Stand far away from both the fire and fireworks.
- Only light one sparkler at a time and when lighting make sure you do it at arm’s length.
- Only use sparklers if supervised by an adult.
- Keep your cats and dogs inside during Bonfire Night.
- Make sure an adult checks the bonfire for hiding pets and wild animals before it is lit.
- Keep a bucket of water near and at the ready for emergencies.
And here are some big don’ts when having your own bonfire or firework display;
- Don’t go near a firework after it has been lit.
- Don’t go near a firework after it has gone off; leave it for adults to clean up.
- Don’t use sparklers without wearing gloves.
- Don’t give sparklers to your little brothers or sisters if they are under the age of five.
- Don’t keep the bonfire in the way of things such as trees and buildings.
- Don’t light fireworks after 11 pm as this is illegal.
If you suffer from a heart problem, asthma or bronchitis it may be a better idea to enjoy the fireworks from inside. Turning off your lights inside will enable you to see them better! Put yourself first!
Your pets can be very timid and scared around bonfire night as they do not understand the loud noises that fireworks make. In the wild, loud noises such as bang usually indicate that there is danger ahead so they will be startled and try to run away and hide.
Here are some tips on how to prepare and make sure your pet will be as relaxed as possible during bonfire night;
- Dogs will need a good walk before the evening, for smaller pet ensure that they have everything they need for the whole evening.
- Close all windows and curtains so that the sound of the explosions is reduced.
- Turn on the television to help distract from the noises.
- If your pets are hiding under furniture or in a corner, leave them there to relax and chill out, They will only cause more fright.
- Make sure your pet has a microchip fitted by the vet. This means if your pet does run away, he or she can be found and safely returned to you.
While sparklers on Bonfire Night are fun, you need to be able to use them properly without causing you or someone else harm. Here is tips on how to safe sparkler fun!
- Find somewhere safe that is open, but not too windy.
- Remember to always wear gloves so that you do not get burnt.
- Get an adult to light the sparkler whilst you are holding the base of the stick,
- Make sure that only one sparkler is lit at a time. Remember that when they are first ignited, they give a very bright and heated initial spark!
- Remember to hold the sparkler horizontally and as far away from your body and face as possible.
- Once you have had fun with the sparkler (try writing your name) and it is no longer burning, make sure to put it in a bucket filled with water.
- Never touch the end of the sparkler, even long after it has stopped burning.