South Foreland Valley is part of a designated ‘Heritage Coast’ that stretches from Dover Harbour to Kingsdown near Deal. Most of the land is owned by St Margaret’s at Cliffe Parish Council and is accessible to the public. The whole area is managed by the White Cliffs Countryside Partnership and is also a Site of Special Scientific Interest for its chalk, flora, and invertebrates. From the blustery cliff-top you can look out across the Channel to France, as well as enjoy views towards the village of St. Margaret’s Bay and Dover.
Perched high on the cliff top is South Foreland Lighthouse, a distinctive and historic landmark. It was built in 1843 and is now owned by the National Trust. It has a tearoom, toilets and shop, and is open to the public during the spring and summer months.
The stretch of National Cycle Route 1 running between Dover and Deal passes nearby, and the South Foreland Valley has a good network of public footpaths and waymarked trails: the Saxon Shore Way and White Cliffs Country Trail both pass along the cliff top. Also of interest is a circular local history trail with two strands, and interpretation panels that identify historical facts and events associated with the locality. Further information about the route can be downloaded from Frontline Britain Trail
Easy access information
This park and open space contains uneven trails, un-surfaced or narrow pathways. Also, there are width restricting features, such as stiles and narrow gaps making it difficult for visitors with pushchairs and/or wheelchairs to access some parts of the site.