Dane John Gardens is a historic park within Canterbury city’s walls which dates back to 1551, and includes a mound which historical records prove was there in the first century AD. Stroll along the city walls which border one side of the gardens and wander up to the top of the mound for an excellent view of the city. Also on the top of the mound is a monument commemorating Alderman James Simmons’ gift of the gardens to the people of Canterbury. In 1999, the City Council completed a million pound renovation of the park supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund and local sponsorship. The City Walls and an avenue of lime trees provide a sense of enclosure and escape from the busy road and bustling shopping centre just a few yards away. There is a safe play area for children, a bandstand as a venue for traditional concerts throughout the summer, a refreshments kiosk, and a fountain which provides a focus for the shaded walk along the avenue of lime trees.
Easy access information
This park and open space has well surfaced routes suitable for visitors with pushchairs and/or wheelchairs, and has no width restricting features, such as stiles or non RADAR kissing gates.